What are the best quotes you have ever come across?

May 23, 2013

Post image for What are the best quotes you have ever come across?

What are the best quotes you have ever come across?

If you don’t see it below, please add it to this collection (as a Comment) …

CSagan_dot

We succeeded in taking that picture [of Earth from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot.

That’s here. That’s home. That’s us.

On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena.  Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our  imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity — in all this vastness — there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us.

It’s been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, acharacter-building experience.  To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.
To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.

Carl Sagan in reference to Earth as viewed from 4 billion miles away.

EarthFromSpace

The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe.
We are like a little child entering a huge library.
The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues.
The child knows that someone must have written these books.
It does not know who or how.
It does not understand the languages in which they are written.
But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books
- a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects.

– Albert Einstein

Life has no meaning.
Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life.
It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.

– Joseph Campbell

- – -

Life isn’t about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself.

– George Bernard Shaw

LifeExam

- – -

I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

– Bill Cosby

- – -

One day your whole life will flashback in front of your eyes just like a movie,
make sure it’s worth watching.

- – -

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world.
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

– Rumi

IntheEnd

- – -

Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence

– Aristotle

JLenon2

- – -

Climb mountains not so the world can see you,
but so you can see the world.

– George Bernard Shaw

success_happiness

- – -

If wealth is the secret to happiness,
then the rich should be dancing on the streets…
But only poor kids do that.

If power ensures security,
then officials should walk unguarded…
But those who live simply, sleep soundly.

If beauty and fame bring ideal relationships,
then celebrities should have the best marriages…

So Live simply. Walk humbly. Love genuinely..!

Kidsandlife1

CBukowski

- – -

I’ve had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.

- Mark Twain

Einstein_aboutGenius

- – -

A ship is always safe at the shore – but that is NOT what it is built for.

– Albert Einstein

waiting

- – -

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.

– Bear Grylls

NeverTooLate

JLenon1

- – -
The cure for boredom is curiosity.
There is no cure for curiosity.

–Ellen Parr

steve_jobs1

Minds_discuss

Gandhi1

Glass

- – -

That is what it is. We can’t change it.
We just have to decide how we’ll respond.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt,
just how we play the hand.

— Randy Pausch

LaoTzu1

- – -

Who controls the past, controls the future:
who controls the present,
controls the past

— George Orwell

Responsibility to yourself means
refusing to let others do your thinking, talking, and naming for you;
it means learning to respect and use your own brains and instincts;
hence, grappling with hard work.

Love your Job and you won’t have to work a single day!

MMTwain

- – -

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is
that the stupid are cocksure
while the intelligent are full of doubt.”

– Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

- – -
“Only two things are infinite,
the universe and human stupidity,
and I’m not sure about the former.”

– Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

- – -

“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid
the consequences of avoiding reality.”

– Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

- – -

“When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity;
when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.”

– Robert Pirsig (1948-)

- – -

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect
has intended us to forgo their use.”

– Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

- – -

“I sit on a man’s back choking him and making him carry me,
and yet assure myself and others that i am sorry for him
and wish to lighten his load by all means possible…
except by getting off his back.”

- Leo Tolstoy

- – -

“If voting changed anything, they’d make it illegal.”

- Emma Goldman

- – -

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. “

- Edmund Burke

- – -

“The full use of your powers along lines of excellence.”

– definition of  “happiness”
by John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

MindPower

- – -

PS What’s the Baby Elephant Principle?

Basically it’s the idea that an elephant that is tied to a stake as it’s growing up will think that it can’t move even when it most definitely can. Want the full gist?

baby_elephantTo restrain a baby elephant, circus trainers must chain it to a huge stake driven into the ground. When the baby grows into an adult, however, it is many times smarter and stronger. What trainers must then drive into the ground is just a tiny tent peg.

The baby had tried everything to break free. It had strained with all its might, pulling in every conceivable way, hour after hour, day after day. The huge stake refused to budge. So, rather than mindlessly keep trying to do the impossible, it did what at the time was the intelligent thing: it gave up trying.

The baby grew into a powerful beast. Convinced by bitter experience that whenever it is tethered there is no point trying to resist, it never bothered to determine whether anything had changed. So it suffers indignities, even though, if only it could grasp the fact, it could easily rip up the peg and trample those who sought to dominate it.

StakeElephant

As an adult, it finds itself bound not by a stake but by a powerful psychological force.

More >> http://www.net-burst.net/hope/helpless.htm

MentalChains

Links

Please submit your favorite quote to this collection.

{ 39 comments… read them below or add one }

watash May 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

“Every story has tree sides.
This Side, That Side, and The Truth”

Luther Timmins June 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

You are beginning to sound like the White House.

Suzanne Taylor May 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

What a lovely job you’ve done. I collect quotes, too. You’ve inspired me to do a major sharing and will feed that back to you when I do. In the meantime, am passing along for this string some that relate to material on your site that I’ve made movies about — crop circles:

“A great power has arisen, directing thoughts and perception in a certain direction towards a more complete and satisfactory view of reality than the modern conventions of materialism have previously allowed. Gently, subtly, with no disturbance or panic, we are being guided across a watershed, from one worldview to another. And this is in no way arbitrary, but a purposeful process, in accordance with the interests of eternal nature and the necessities of the present. We now can see something of what the ancients meant when they spoke of revelation.”
– John Michell

“If we were to discover extra-terrestrial life, it would show that we are not intellectually unique in the galaxy. Man has a tendency to think he’s very special. We consider ourselves morally, culturally, and intellectually unique. But if we were to find a signal from another star system, another thinking being, we would know that none of that is true. A connection with another intelligence would be the first bridging across four billion years of independent life in evolution. It would be the end of Earth’s cultural isolation in a galaxy and a universe surely containing millions of other civilizations. It would be without doubt the greatest discovery in the history of humankind.”
– Paul Horowitz, Project Director, Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI)

“After honest appraisal of crop circle data it is impossible to maintain the rationalistic worldview on which modern science and education are founded. One is led into unfamiliar channels of thought, which point away from structured theories and hard-and-fast beliefs towards a more mystical view of reality and, eventually, towards the greater mysteries of divinity and the living universe.” – Ralph Noyes “The Crop Circle Enigma: Grounding the Phenomenon in Science, Culture and Metaphysics”

r. rabstein May 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Great collection of quotes. Sadly, few know of them or learn from them. My favorites:
“Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it” George Santa Anna
“All that it takes for evil to suceed is for good men to do nothing” ??

Luther Timmins May 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I love that quote. I would rate it #2 just below Ruskin and right above Churchill.

bill heaney May 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

As you go through life, regardless of your goal,
keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole.
[old advertising sign]

I don’t believe in gravity, but since it’s a law, I obey it.
[unknown]

Lazarus May 26, 2013 at 5:57 am

“Do or do not!
There is no try!”

Master Yoda

“Gods help only those, who force them to!”

Conan the Barbarian

Charles Marcello May 26, 2013 at 12:42 am

My favorite quote has to be this one.. It is said to be from Confucius:

“Man who goes to bed with itchy bunghole will wake up with stinky finger.”

I didn’t say it was life altering I just said it is my favorite.

Luther Timmins May 25, 2013 at 9:25 am

More?

“Wickedness is always easier than virtue; for it takes the shortcut to everything.”

“When I talk to women I have to make a concerted effort to look at their face and not their tits.”

Sorry, I’m a guy.

“Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.” Hedy Lamarr

“Teenagers are like firecrackers. It’s best to stand way back and cover your eyes.” Red Green

And a personal fav . . . “As a columnist, I can have data say pretty much what I want it to say and still tell the truth.”

Luther Timmins May 25, 2013 at 9:03 am

“I can pen any animal on the face of the earth if I can just get him to depend on me for a free hand-out.” John Ruskin

Go find out who Ruskin was and who he influenced.

This one . . . I have no idea where it came from.

A worrying development among some is their insufferable righteousness. These zealots appear as nothing but fundamentalists in a quest, where self-made rules become doctrine and other, less worthy are cast out. Born again in the fire of insecurity and guilt, they create a heaven where none but themselves truly keep the faith… a world of rigid doctrine and self-imposed commandments. In time, they take on the aspects of clergy: Indolence, pride, superstition, bigotry, persecution and ignorance.

Sounds like the left in America to me . . .

TheSaurus May 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

“Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
? Albert Camus

ChoctawFire May 25, 2013 at 8:02 am

If you teach the bear to dance, you must be willing to dance until the bear is ready to stop.

ChoctawFire May 25, 2013 at 7:59 am

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
? Mahatma Gandhi

Starheater May 25, 2013 at 4:54 am

“Salut Brenda”

“Je t’annonce la Bonne Nouvelle, nous sommes tous sauvés, et ceci inclut la Bête et le faux prophète. Tout ce qui est chair va un jour ou l’autre être sauvé, sans exception, j’en suis certain, mais cela va se faire en 2 étape. Je ne peux pas t’expliqué tout sur ce site, mais ce que je te dis tu le savais probablement. Ils existent des hommes qui ont vécu sur Terre qui n’ayant pas connu les Écritures ont obéis à la Loi de l’Amour du Prochain. Si le petit Maurice à 5 ans 1/2, c’est parce ne vois pas toujours le mal, mais même le mal nous le connaissons pas. Il y a des gens qui tuent des êtres humains, mais ceci est la résultante da l’absence de Dieu en eux. Il y a plus extraordinaire encore, mais je dois vérifié sa véracité. Que l’Esprit de Dieu se multiplit en toi.”

I have to thanks my Savior Jesus-Christ and His Father, who’s also mine, to have guide me to the right path that lead to perfection, even if I’m not perfect actualy, I have the assurance that one day what is not perfect will let place to what it is. This is true to evryone of you, the time come who each of you will receive eternel life from the King of Kings Jesus-Christ.

GoD Bless

partha datta May 24, 2013 at 11:34 pm

TRULY SOME OF THE BEST QUOTES I HAVE EVER READ IN MY LIFE

soulpowertothenthdegree May 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Not sure, I always thought this was a quote from Confucius;

“The only real mistake in life is one which we learn nothing from”

I have my own quote that I would like to share;

“Life is like a bowl of cherries with the pits in them, You have to eat the sweet part and spit out the pit”

Soul

atkibobs May 24, 2013 at 9:34 am

All truth passes through three stages. First it is ridiculed.Second it is violently opposed. Third it is accepted as being self evident.
If you don,t stand for something, you,ll fall for anything.
The truth is simple, mankind makes it complicated.

Herman King May 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

My favorite: Too soon old, too late smart.

David May 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

Einstein said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.” He SHOULD have said, “Political insanity is electing the same types over and over and believing things will be different each time.”

Ron S. Girardau May 24, 2013 at 9:14 am

Famous Quotes: Winston S. Churchill

“You only get the Government you deserve”

wishbone May 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

when I was a little boy and I did something naughty for which I would say “SORRY”, my father would always say “DONT BE SORRY, SELL MATCHESS.!” I came to understand he meant, DONT BE SORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU’VE DONE WRONG, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, TO PUT IT RIGHT.

Carmen May 24, 2013 at 4:36 am

Wow…. that was sooo enjoyable, just what I needed. I think I will reread them all again and again and again. :) Thank You